Shea butter is one of my fav. butters. Not only does it make our mane's soft, it also works as a good sealant, a good deep conditioner, great for the skin, and from personal experience, it helps heal and dry wounds link. When I heard about shea butter, I ran out to buy some, but urgh...the smell. I used it anyways and loved the results. I had a problem though; storage. When exposed to heat, the butter melts.When it thickens, it can form little balls like in the first pic, making application difficult.
After some research I came up with a way to get my Shea butter smooth and getting it to stay so. I used;
- 1 cup Shea butter
- 4 tbs Olive oil or any oil of your choice
- Large bowl
- 3 drops fragrance(optional)
- Ice cubes
- Bowl for storage.
- Melted Shea butter,olive oil and fragrance in the microwave. Don't let it get too hot. Just enough to melt away all the balls in it.
- Put some water and ice in a bowl.
- Allow the melted Shea butter (in a bowl) seat in the water and ice.
- Allow Shea butter thicken (Pic 5)
- Put thick shea butter in a bowl and mix with mixer using medium speed till it gets fluffy.
- Store your Shea butter in a bowl.Keep in cool dry place.
Bought a bucket full of unrefined Shea butter for less than N2,000 (two thousand Naira) last year. Notice the little balls.
Melted Shea butter.
Spilled a little of the melted butter in the bowl. It thickened in seconds.Closer view is in the pic below.
Thick Shea butter
This is my first attempt at writing a recipe... ^_^ ..hope it helps.