DETANGLING MADE EASY

There is nothing as tiring -and sometimes painful- as detangling your kinks after 1-2months of protective styling. You take down the extensions/plaits looking forward to seeing what little length you must have gained during the period, but then you notice a lot of build-up at the roots. So what do you do? You pour lots of conditioner and/or oil on your hair and begin taking apart hair strands that are clumped together. Not only does the exercise feel like life is forcing you to learn divine patience, but you are disappointed by all the short hair strands that are falling off as you work through all the knots.

MY NEW SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM: MANSHANU!!
2 weeks ago, I bought a bowl of manshanu from wuse market for N500. The plan was to use it as a dc protein treatment after washing with a shampoo but detangling a small section of hair took 2 days and I decided, in frustration, to try something new.

 

 

HOW TO
I smoothed on some manshanu to a little section of hair until it felt soft and then loosely twisted it. A few minutes after saturating all my hair with the product, I noticed that it was really easy for my fingers to pass through the knots without much of a problem (nice!). I then went on to take out the shed hairs with a wide tooth comb which was just as easy. No pain, no time wasted.
If there is one thing I love about manshanu is that it has got SLIP. This makes detangling so much easier and faster!!
I left the product on for another 30 minutes and washed it off afterwards.
Detangling has never been so easy and breakage was minimal

  Hair is soft and manageable one week after  treatment
On Sunday I tried the same process on my Mom. If there's one thing I know about her regimen is that she never washes her hair or puts anything liquid on it without properly detangling it first. When I offered to try manshanu on her hair using this method I could tell that she wasn't really buying my 'gist' but fortunately she let me work my magic.
During the process, not one "careful!'' was uttered. Instead I got a "what exactly is this?" and "how did you find out about it's uses?"
Answer to question 1:It is magical manshanu.
Answer to question 2: Out of frustration and I'm still learning about it.
The major lessons I have learnt during my hair journey are that one should never be afraid to try new things and short-cuts do make life easier (not all the time sha *_^).

NOTE:A little goes a long way. Apply too much and your face and neck will be full of oil in no time.
Storage: Manshanu should be stored in a refrigerator
Ready for use? If your manshanu is solid and sweating as seen in the picture opposite don't use heat to melt it. Rather, let it seat for 30-45mins (depending on how hard it is) and it would return to its original state.

24 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I'd love to try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, please try it o, I will love to read another manshanu review :)

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. Do you know if it's easily available in Lagos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Berry,
      Getting manshanu in Lagos can be hard work o but lucky for us I have just found someone who you can buy it from. Please send an email to turvy5882@yahoo.com and don't forget to share your results after you use it :)

      Delete
    2. Hi, I'm in Lagos and also wondered the same thing. Where to get it. I'll send a mail to turvy5882 also.
      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Love this idea. Which part of the market can i get it? Will love to get some asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where exactly in wuse market can i get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know where Muslims pray in the market? Not far from there,you will see a group of Fulani women under umbrellas selling fura da nunu (forgive my spelling if it is wrong ^_^). Ask them for fresh maisanu (as pronounced).

      Delete
  5. Hello, please what is maisanu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misivese! Scroll down, Ms Jemimahnaa has the answer you are looking for. For a little bit more info read... http://deepbrownkinks.blogspot.com/2012/02/missjay-tells-us-what-man-sanu.html

      Delete
  6. Mansanu is awesome!! I discovered it a while back while surfing the net. i'v used it to steam and loved the result, can also use as prepoo. Manshanu is raw cow milk fat mostly used for cooking or eating ready made food, i cant stand the smell for long though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol at the smell, you are not alone on that one. Me, I don't care sha. As long as it is fresh (smells a little like yoghurt when it is fresh) and it is giving me results, I am good :)

      Delete
  7. wud try this and hope to see minimal breakage. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I'll be visiting Nigeria this July and wanted to know where i can find natural hair salons in abuja, including where i can buy marley twists. Also wondering if there will be any natural hair meet up this July. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey sis!!
    Long time! Pray all is well with you. Thank you for sharing this ooh! How I wish I was back home. Wuse market used to be a frequent stop for my parents back then. I'll have to find an alternative...
    I agree that as a natural, you should never be afraid of new things!

    theofficialDATFUNKYFRO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Funbi! Longest time o my sister!! Eiya...but if there are any Indian shops in your location yo can ask the attendant for ghee.

      Delete
  10. Wow the manshanu really made your hair shiny! Great stuff
    I nominated you for a Sunshine Blogger Award. You can get the details here > http://glamlushhair.blogspot.com/2014/07/sunshine-blogger-award.html. Looking forward to your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bee! Yes, it did :) & thank you for nominating me.

      Delete
  11. Hi Nat, i love your blog. Please what did you mix with your mansanu in the pic? Is it milk? And how much do i need for my hair for a dc? Meanwhile i rock a mini fro. Thanks a bunch dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelizruby,
      Thanks for the support. I don't mix my manshanu with anything. What you see in the picture is milk that came with it. How much you need depends on how much hair you have (no need to have it dripping all over you o. Just enough to soften your hair). You can buy as much as you want, use what you need and store the rest in the refrigerator to be used at a later date.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much dear. God bless.

      Delete
  12. Manshanu. Hmmm. This made your hair look amazing! Really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No wonder the Fulani ladies have gorgeous hair. Imma have to stick with coconut oil and Greek yoghurt at my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...